Welcome to Episode 27 of Mastermind.fm! Today masterminds Jean Galea and James Laws interview Zack Katz, author of the WordPress plugin GravityView! Hang out with us for a bit and have a listen!
This was a super fun and interesting interview and Zack has lots of great advice. He’s experimented with several marketing and advertising strategies and we can all learn from his experiences to take some smart shortcuts in choosing the best promotional methods for our plugins.
Zack also talks about his favourite WordPress conferences. We both met Zack at Pressnomics earlier this year and this interview is a follow-up based on the great discussions we had there.
Questions we asked Zack
- How did you get into WordPress and full-time development?
- How do you select projects to monetize?
- You build Gravity related plugins, but Gravity Forms doesn’t have an “official” community development model around Gravity products. How does that work out with the Gravity team?
- How was the transition as your work began to be noticed by Gravity?
- How do you feel affiliate links being removed from the WordPress repo affected the WordPress ecosystem?
- How do you feel about the lack of an official WordPress market for premium products? Should WordPress have an official monetization model?
- What can you tell us about the progress of GravityView as a product?
- What does the structure of development look like for moving GravityView forward?
- What can you tell us about your website and promotional ideas?
- What has been the most effective method of content marketing for you?
- You’ve had success with Google Adwords pay-per-click. Can you expand on your methods?
- Do you have any good resources for folks who would like to learn Google Adwords?
- Do you manage the campaigns yourself or do you have someone do that for you?
- Do you have specific marketing techniques to guide customer interaction?
- What is the one piece of advice you would give to someone who is thinking about starting their own business?
- What would you do differently before starting your own business if you had it to do over again?
- What is the most exciting thing about your business right now?
- What’s you favorite tool that you think our listeners might not have heard of that they could benefit from?
- Do you have any books you’d recommend our listeners read?
- What’s your favorite conference?
Featured On The Show:
- Gravity Forms
- Easy Digital Downloads
- WP Rocket
- Math by GravityView
- Jonathan Mann
- Google Analytics Academy