Guest hosting this episode is Dave Rodenbaugh. Owner of Business Directory Plugin, AWPCP, and Recapture.io.
Dave has been a developer for 20 years, and has been working in the WordPress ecosystem since 2009. He also cohosts the Rogue Startups Podcast with Craig Hewitt, the man behind Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin and Podcaster Motor.
- James & Dave talk the how, when, and why of podcasting.
- Rogue Startups Podcast anticipates their 1 year anniversary.
- What makes a good podcast stand out against competition.
- Why would you start/maintain multiple podcasts?
- Weighing verbal communication vs written.
- Why Dave believes podcasting has made him a “better business person.”
- James and his mischief bringing.
- Dave’s acquisition of Recaptured.io
- Moving outside of WordPress.
- Brief talk on Magento.
- Comparing and contrasting running a WordPress business and running a SAAS (Software as a Service).
- What lead Dave to the SAAS model.
- How the search and acquisition process happened for Dave.
- How dealing with legacy customers can be tricky.
- Playing the numbers game, and veritably gambling on business.
- Business is always risky.
- Be smart about making the financial decisions that set you up for success.
- How Dave balances managing plugins and his SAAS.
- Spoiler: Believe it, or not, he’s not a wizard.
- The key: a great team with diverse capabilities and tasks.
- “As support goes, so does sales.” – James
- Making sure your team isn’t bottled-necked by something they need from you, or someone else.
- Juggling…in the literal and business sense.
- Adjusting for when things go awry.
- “As a CEO, I ask myself, how do I set my team up for success?” – James
- Looking forward, Dave’s short-mid term focuses.
You can find Dave on Twitter @daverodenbaugh.
Featured on the Show: