Welcome to Episode 23 of Mastermind.fm! We’re doing something a little different today as Jean and James interview Pippin Williamson, author of Easy Digital Downloads, Affiliate WP, and Restrict Content Pro. He’s a man that’s made the WordPress space a little more awesome for all of us, and a sharp mind to listen to for advice. You can find the questions we’re hitting him with from both ourselves and Mastermind listeners below, but tune it to the full episode to hear what he has to say!
Mastermind Questions for Pippin
1) How did you get into PHP programming and then into WordPress?
2) What was the first product that you actually sold as you moved away from freelance work? What inspired you to make the product and make the move away from freelance?
3) How much did you sell your first product for? Where did you market it? Did it sell well in the beginning?
4) When did it hit you that “Hey, I can make a living doing this!”? How long did it take you to decide that this was going to be a full time pursuit?
5) How important were mentors along the way? How important were these people in influencing you to go full time?
6) How many people are you working with at the moment? What does your team look like?
7) What does support look like for you? How do you onboard and what kind of resources do you devote to it?
8) Is there a point where you will “release” a customer? i.e. are there certain situations where you realize a customer just can’t be supported anymore? What factors play into a decision like that?
9) You’ve become successful with a number of different plugins. How do you manage your time and effort between these and where do you draw the line and say ‘enough is enough’?
10) How do you divide your team among the different projects and products that you have?
11) What is the most important piece of advice you’d give to someone starting or wanting to start their own business?
12) If you had it to do all over again (starting a business), what one thing would you change?
13) What would you say is the most challenging thing in your business today?
14) What is the most exciting thing going on in your business right now?