Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode, Mark takes over hosting duties from James and Jean to interview Ben Pines, the co-founder of the Elementor page builder plugin for WordPress; a plugin that is growing in popularity every week.
Elementor has grown substantially in just over a year and currently has over 200,000 active installs and an 5-star average rating according to the WordPress.org stats. Given its sudden rise in popularity and the large community that is forming around it, Mark took the time to speak with Ben about its conception, how it works and why, as well as the plans for its future.
Among the topics discussed in this episode are:
- What page builders are, why they should be used, and by who.
- Mark asks Ben to address some concerns around page builder plugins, such as their preference over just using a theme, the ability to customise the generated code, and the type of end-user that it is meant for.
- The story behind Elementor’s team and the plugin’s creation, from conception till today.
- Why the Elementor team was not fazed by other page builder plugins already out there, as well as their thoughts on the Gutenberg editor that is being introduced into WordPress core.
- The reasons for the majority of the plugin’s features to be available for free on WordPress.org, versus the approach taken by other page builder plugins to be fully premium, along with the reasons this plugin differs from the more established competitors.
- The marketing channels being used by the Elementor team and why they chose them.
- The way the business was supported until the Pro version of the plugin started to bring in sales.
- The burden and the cost of supporting a page builder plugin, along with the most common queries.
- The future of Elementor and its Pro version.
Elementor Page Builder (Free Version)
Elementor Community (Facebook Group)